Tic T500 USB Multi-Interface Stepper Motor Controller
The Tic T500 USB Multi-Interface Stepper Motor Controller makes basic control of a stepper motor easy, with quick configuration over USB using our free software. The controller supports six control interfaces: USB, TTL serial, I²C, analog voltage (potentiometer), quadrature encoder, and hobby radio control (RC). This version incorporates an MPS MP6500 driver, and male headers and terminal blocks are included but not soldered.
It can operate from 4.5 V to 35 V and can deliver up to approximately 1.5 A per phase without a heat sink or forced air flow (or 2.5 A max with sufficient additional cooling).
The Tic family of stepper motor controllers makes it easy to add basic control of a bipolar stepper motor to a variety of projects. These versatile, general-purpose modules support six different control interfaces: USB for direct connection to a computer, TTL serial and I²C for use with a microcontroller, RC hobby servo pulses for use in an RC system, analog voltages for use with a potentiometer or analog joystick, and quadrature encoder for use with a rotary encoder dial. They also offer many settings that can be configured using our free configuration utility (for Windows, Linux, and macOS). This software simplifies initial setup of the device and allows for in-system testing and monitoring of the controller via USB (a micro-B USB cable is required to connect the Tic to a computer).
The Tic T500 is based on the MP6500 IC from Monolithic Power Systems. This driver IC features automatic decay mode selection, using internal current sensing to automatically adjust the decay mode as necessary to provide the smoothest current waveform. The Tic T500 can operate from 4.5 V to 35 V and can deliver up to approximately 1.5 A continuous per phase without a heat sink or forced air flow (the peak current per phase is 2.5 A). This version is sold unassembled so soldering is necessary to use it.
Note: Powering the Tic T500 with a supply voltage between 4.5 V and 5.5 V might cause its logic voltage to be lower than normal, which could affect operation.
Features and specifications:
- Open-loop speed or position control of one bipolar stepper motor
- A variety of control interfaces:
- USB for direct connection to a computer
- TTL serial operating at 5 V for use with a microcontroller
- I²C for use with a microcontroller
- RC hobby servo pulses for use in an RC system
- Analog voltage for use with a potentiometer or analog joystick
- Quadrature encoder input for use with a rotary encoder dial, allowing full rotation without limits (not for position feedback)
- STEP/DIR inputs for compatibility with existing stepper motor control firmware
- Acceleration and deceleration limiting
- Maximum stepper speed: 50,000 steps per second
- Very slow speeds down to 1 step every 200 seconds (or 1 step every 1428 seconds with reduced resolution).
- Selectable microstep modes up to 1/256-step resolution: The Tic T500 supports full-step to 1/8-step modes
- Digitally adjustable current limit
- Optional safety controls to avoid unexpectedly powering the motor
- Input calibration (learning) and adjustable scaling degree for analog and RC signals
- 5 V regulator (no external logic voltage supply needed)
- Optional limit switch inputs with homing capabilities
- Optional kill switch inputs
- STEP/DIR outputs for controlling external stepper motor drivers
- Connects to a computer through USB via a USB A to Micro-B cable (not included)
- Free configuration software available for Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Arduino library makes it easy to get started using these controllers with an Arduino or compatible board
- Comprehensive user’s guide
|Size:||1.50″ × 1.05″ × 0.42″|
|Control interface:||USB; non-inverted TTL serial; I²C;
RC servo pulses; analog voltage; quadrature encoder
|Minimum operating voltage:||4.5 V|
|Maximum operating voltage:||35 V|
|Continuous current per phase:||1.5 A|
|Maximum current per phase:||2.5 A|
|Maximum step rate:||50000 PPS|
|Microstep resolutions:||full, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8|
|Reverse voltage protection?:||Y|
16 other products in the same category: