AMIS-30543 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier
This is a breakout board for ON Semiconductor’s AMIS-30543 microstepping bipolar stepper motor driver, which features SPI-adjustable current limiting, 11 step modes (from full-step through 1/128-step), back-EMF feedback that can be used for stall detection or optional closed-loop control, and over-current and over-temperature protection. The board operates from 6 V to 30 V and can deliver up to approximately 1.8 A per phase without a heat sink or forced air flow (it is rated for 3 A per coil with sufficient additional cooling).
This product is a carrier board or breakout board for ON Semiconductor’s AMIS-30543 Micro-Stepping Motor Driver.This stepper motor driver lets you control one bipolar stepper motor at up to 3 A output current per coil.
Here are some of the board’s key features:
- Standard step and direction control interface
- SPI interface for configuring settings (e.g. step mode, current limit, sleep) and reading status registers
- Speed and load angle output that can be used for stall detection or closed-loop control of the torque and speed based on the load angle
- Eleven different step modes: full-step (uncompensated, compensated 1-phase, or compensated 2-phase), half-step (uncompensated or compensated), 1/4-step, 1/8-step, 1/16-step, 1/32-step, 1/64-step, and 1/128-step
- SPI-programmable current control (from 132 mA to 3 A) enables your microcontroller to adjust the peak-current limit on the fly as more or less torque or speed is needed
- Intelligent chopping control that automatically selects the correct current decay mode (fast decay or slow decay)
- Low-EMI PWM with SPI-selectable voltage slopes
- Compatible with 5 V and 3.3 V microcontrollers
- Integrated 5V regulator that can be used to supply an external microcontroller
- Integrated watchdog function
- Open coil detection
- Thermal warning indicates when the driver is close to the thermal shutdown temperature
- Over-current status and shutdown (short-to-ground and shorted-load protection)
- Reverse voltage protection
This product ships with all surface-mount components—including the AMIS-30543 driver IC—installed as shown in the product picture. However, soldering is required for assembly of the included through-hole parts. The following through-hole parts are included:
- One 1×20-pin breakaway 0.1″ male header
- Three 2-pin, 3.5 mm terminal blocks (for board power and motor outputs)
- One 0.1″ shorting block (for connecting IOREF to neighboring VDD pin)
The 0.1″ male header can be broken or cut into smaller pieces as desired and soldered into the smaller through-holes. These headers are compatible with solderless breadboards, 0.1″ female connectors, and our premium and pre-crimped jumper wires. The terminal blocks can be soldered into the larger holes to allow for convenient temporary connections of unterminated power and stepper motor wires. You can also solder your motor leads and other connections directly to the board for the most compact installation.
Note: This driver needs to be enabled and configured through its SPI interface on power up, so your microcontroller must be capable of acting as an SPI master (either with an SPI peripheral or software SPI).
|Size:||1.0″ × 1.2″|
|Minimum operating voltage:||6 V|
|Maximum operating voltage:||30 V|
|Continuous current per phase:||1.8 A|
|Maximum current per phase:||3 A|
|Minimum logic voltage:||2.5 V|
|Maximum logic voltage:||5.5 V|
|Microstep resolutions:||full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128|
|Reverse voltage protection?:||Y|