Pololu Distance Sensor with Pulse Width Output, 300cm Max
This small lidar-based distance sensor reports the distance of objects up to about 300 cm (120″) away with a pulsed signal similar to a hobby servo control signal. A digital microcontroller pin can be used to time the length of each high pulse, which encodes the measured distance. The sensor works over an input voltage range of 3.0 V to 5.5 V, and the 0.1″ pin spacing makes it easy to use with standard solderless breadboards and 0.1″ perfboards.
This compact sensor makes it possible to measure the distance of objects up to about 300 cm (120″) away using a simple digital pulse width interface (similar to a hobby servo control signal). It uses a short-range lidar module to precisely measure how long it takes for emitted pulses of infrared, eye-safe laser light to reach the nearest object and be reflected back, allowing for 2 mm resolution. As long as the sensor is enabled, it takes continuous distance measurements and encodes the ranges as the widths of high pulses, which can then be timed by a microcontroller using a single digital input.
The maximum detection range depends on object reflectivity and ambient lighting conditions. In our tests, the sensor was able to reliably detect a wall out to around 300 cm away, a white sheet of paper out to around 170 cm, and a hand out to around 100 cm.
- Operating voltage: 3.0 V to 5.5 V
- Current consumption: 30 mA (typical) when enabled, 0.4 mA when disabled
- Maximum range: approximately 300 cm (120″) (for high-reflectivity targets in good ambient conditions; lower-reflectivity targets or poor ambient conditions will reduce the maximum detection range)
- Minimum range: 4 cm (for accurate measurement); < 1 mm (for detection)
- Update rate: 30 Hz to 33 Hz (33 ms to 30 ms period)
- Field of view (FOV): 15° typical; can vary with object reflectance and ambient conditions
- Output type: digital pulse width
- Dimensions: 0.85″ × 0.35″ × 0.136″ (21.6 × 8.9 × 3.5 mm);
- Weight: 0.014 oz (0.4 g)
|Size:||0.85″ × 0.35″ × 0.136″|
|Maximum range:||300 cm|
|Sampling rate:||30 Hz|
|Minimum operating voltage:||3.0 V|
|Maximum operating voltage:||5.5 V|
|Supply current:||30 mA|
|Output type:||digital pulse width|