Pololu Digital Distance Sensor 15cm
This small lidar-based distance sensor detects the presence objects within 15 cm (6″). It has a single digital output that drives low when an object is being detected; otherwise, it is high. It works over an input voltage range of 3.0 V to 5.5 V, and the 0.1″ pin spacing makes it easy to use with standard solderless breadboards and 0.1″ perfboards.
This compact sensor is a great way to quickly detect the presence of nearby objects. As long as the sensor is enabled, it takes continuous distance measurements and uses a single digital output to indicate if it detects an object within its detection range. The output is driven low when the sensor detects an object; otherwise, the output is high.
Please note that this sensor will only tell you if there is an object within the detection range along its line of sight, not how far away it is.
Unlike simpler optical sensors that use the intensity of reflected light to detect objects, this sensor uses a short-range lidar module to precisely measure how long it takes for emitted pulses of infrared, eye-safe laser light to reach the nearest object and be reflected back. This allows the sensor performance to be largely independent of object reflectivity and ambient lighting conditions (though the range can be reduced for extremely low-reflectance objects).
- Operating voltage: 3.0 V to 5.5 V
- Current consumption: 30 mA (typical) when enabled, 0.4 mA when disabled
- Maximum range: 15 cm (6″)
- Minimum update rate: 95 Hz (10.6 ms period)
- Field of view (FOV): 15° typical; can vary with object reflectance and ambient conditions
- Output type: digital signal (low when detecting an object, high otherwise)
- Dimensions: 0.85″ × 0.35″ × 0.122″ (21.6 × 8.9 × 3.1 mm); see the dimension diagram (192k pdf) for more information
- Weight: 0.014 oz (0.4 g)
|Size:||0.85″ × 0.35″ × 0.122″|
|Maximum range:||15 cm|
|Sampling rate:||95 Hz|
|Minimum operating voltage:||3.0 V|
|Maximum operating voltage:||5.5 V|
|Supply current:||30 mA|